Sunday, April 02, 2006

Illegal Aliens Saving American Businesses?

Illegal Aliens Saving American Businesses?

I’m not an expert on much of anything. The only thing I’ve got going for me, some would say, is that I have 61 years worth of life experiences. I’m a hick from Virginia. This hick has been ahead of his time considering how I was raised.
I was left of center, for integration in the 50’s and 60’s. I was right of center for winning in Vietnam, not that I’m for war but I fought in it. Has anyone reading this ever done something they didn’t want to do, but had to do? That was this author in 1969 when I joined the armed services.
What are my credentials to claim I am a hick?

I grew up in the rolling hills of Virginia, just northwest of Leesburg in the little hamlet of Purceville, Virginia.

My grandfather was the manager of a 1700 acre dairy farm. He had a 2nd grade education. His ancestry was Native American and German. My uncles, aunts and cousins lived in separate houses along the dirt roads that connected various segments of the farm. We grew a lot of corn, beans, peas and potatoes as well as raise dairy cows. We slaughtered hogs for our bacon and cooking grease. We butchered a portion of our herds for beef. We pasteurized the milk of close to 200 cows. I remember my Granddad squirting me from the udder of a cow and laughing.

During that War the farm was used to house German males. They worked the land and were not allowed to leave the farm. One of the German ‘inmates’ made advances toward my Grandmother. My Granddad, who was a giant of a man, being the runt of his brothers, stood 6 foot 3 and weighed 245 lbs.

He had huge hands. I had heard adults comment many times on how massive this man was. Each finger was as thick as a well steamed Ball Park hotdog. When he heard about the advances made on his wife he immediately went into the pump house and confronted the man. The German came out of the pump house first and whirled to hit my Granddad. The witnesses, German and American, later said that my Granddad took that first blow square in the mouth. My Granddad then threw the punch that broke the man’s jaw and snapped his neck enough to sever the spinal cord. He had broken the man’s neck from the force of a single blow. The German dropped in a heap paralyzed.

The sheriff said it was self-defense. Case closed. The man was taken to the hospital. The Germans saw this as an opportunity to raise a little havoc. They had admitted to the circumstances of the fight, but they still decided to lynch my Granddad.

I remember my Uncles and Granddad standing on the porch of the main house one night with shotguns holding off the German workers. They were using various tools as weapons and stood en mass at the porch.

The Germans were yelling threats toward my Grandfather, promising him a lynching. An American had killed a German. This meant retribution.

As armed as they were, they were also staring down the throats of four double-barreled 12 gauge shotguns; with my aunts inside the house with two more. One of my older cousins had been dispatched to town to get the sheriff.

Eventually my Uncle Clyde, who later became a Pentecostal minister, convinced the men that it would be in everyone’s best interest if they returned to their quarters and continue to serve the needs of the farm. He reminded them that this was war time and different measures can be employed to control this type of behavior. One example was the use of No.2 shot from a double barreled 12 gauge shotgun. So if they had any doubts as to who was going to kill whom, they should put them to rest and go back to bed.

They were just turning toward their quarters when we saw the lights of the police coming up the dirt road between a long line of oak and pine. We never found out what had happened to the man paralyzed the day before.

During the long humid summers of Northern Virginia the convicts from the various penitentiaries and local jails would descend on our roads and work them. Laying new pavement, digging ditches for lines or pipes.

I remember prisoners being used in the apple orchards that sprawled against the tree line.
I remember the prisoners being fed at lunch by local women that had been paid by the state. Home cooked meals. I guess maybe they didn’t find it a problem in getting ‘volunteers’.

In the early 60’s I began to lose sight of prison labor. Now most prison labor is confined to sweat shop jobs on the prison grounds, citing security and transportation cost savings. To me this view approaches being myopic because it completely disregards the cost exacted from the local communities in higher labor for roads, utilities, construction and welfare costs accompanying prison in-house manufacturing.

What to do to turn off the magnet that brings people here illegally and at the same time not place our economy in jeopardy by a rapidly deflating labor force with increased control and deportation. Why not offer a "guest worker program" for non violent criminals in our agricultural areas? Why not offer prison population construction crews for our roads and utilities?
There wouldn’t be as much draining of our money to Mexico. Can we not do a better job in forcing Vicente Fox to deal more successfully with a situation that has forced millions of his countrymen to leave their homeland?

Can we not build our prisons in closer proximity to major agricultural areas?

Can we limp along for two years until the wall to the south is built and prisons are built?

Can we not have prisoners paid by the growers a federal prisoner wage of 2 dollars a day with no housing or transportation costs exacted from the farmer? This is the business incentive most often cited as ‘forcing’ American businessmen into hiring illegal aliens. As Mike Rosen says, it’s perfectly understandable that a businessman would do this if his competition will bury him by them doing it and he not.

Isn’t the vast majority of our prison population in prison for non-violent crimes?

Much of the cheap labor can be done in a more economical way. Whatever extra cost to our prison system could be offset by savings in welfare and law enforcement costs associated with the massive influx of illegal aliens. We could get return on our $30,000 per year investment in each inmate too; of which 17% to 25% are illegal aliens.

The same logic can be applied to most jobs now being filled by illegal aliens. The same business logic applies where those businesses affected so much by low labor costs in their survival could tap into the prison population even more cheaply than hiring illegally the aliens that flood our communities.

Is this thinking too much out of the box?

I guess so because nobody is talking about it after two solid weeks of discussing labor costs being the prime motivator in hiring illegal aliens.

In 1955 the power struggle for social engineering had not reached full bloom yet by the left. Regulations had not been changed yet that would preclude the use of prison labor. Our prison population became victims instead of people that made bad decisions to atone for.

The debate shifted to so called more humane treatment of prisoners that guaranteed a sense of self worth for every individual.

Is the debate now holding our attention covering all the possibilities that need to be considered?
Could we not accomplish more by not addressing our illegal alien problem in such narrow ways with amnesty, walls and deportation?
It seems to me that the two basic steps that must be taken is to deal with those here and slowing the traffic down to a trickle of illegal aliens crossing our border.

Addressing these two things so specifically without the inclusion of more economical ways to deal with our current and future labor problems seems to me a band-aid answer to turning off the magnet that attracts so many.

We can take away the incentive of so many business owners to purposely break existing laws and we don’t even have to use a double barreled 12 gauge shotgun.

God I wish I had a degree in economics specializing in labor costs. Then maybe someone would read this all the way through and not laugh out loud. Every one I’ve mentioned this to gets this dulled over look in their eyes. That can’t seem to connect the dots. Let me know if you can. Don't let me know if you can't because I've just blown my wad on this, I ain't got no more...............


Regards,
Old Democrat






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home